Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Another Theme - God’s Sovereignty

A logic professor in college (years ago) once suggested to me to meet with some friends of his (old guys who knew stuff) in the foreign language department, thinking that would suit me. I rejected the idea in favor of another direction I had planned. As an aside, have you ever noticed how easy it is to reject guidance when you are young? And how certain you can be that you have no need of it. Anyhow, his response to me was, “Well, you’re the Captain of your own ship.”


That was suddenly unsettling to me because it did not ring true in the moment. In fact, by the end of the day I had compiled much evidence to show that while it was not false, it was also not fully true - beginning with the time and place of my birth ;-)

Sometimes I have wondered about plans. How we make immediate ones that turn out as expected sometimes. Then we tend to extrapolate those same expectations out into longer range plans – 5 or ten years out maybe. But then we find ourselves in a future we could never have predicted. And through it all there is always this sense that total chaos can never occur, that there is a guiding hand at work in personal events and the greater community events which can alter the landscape of our lives. And so much seemingly out of our control. However, the reality is that the individual is always a part of the shaping of their community. We are often just blind to our part in the play.

In the novel, Land Run, readers will experience the subtle but perceptible guiding hand at work in the community of Willow Springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment