Friday, February 18, 2011

Into the Light

I have continued some thinking about the themes within this novel.  I have to stop where I am on this topic but I will promise readers that they will thank me later. ;-)

I am presently pondering a scene in a short story I am developing.  It is set in an airport.  I was going to introduce some tension to the plot by way of a potential bomb threat.  But I paused as this is a very real thing in our land today.  I wasn't stopped because of political-correctness but because of a sense of propriety.  But then there are many terrible events and realities in the world.  As the saying goes, "it is what it is."  I never used to like that phrase but it fits for me more and more. 

A topic could be rightly considered as offensive.  I think this is where fiction has power to bring into light many dark corners of our culture.  And help us all to view and meet our common demons as it were.  This always being a precursor to beating them.  But the telling of a matter must not be an offense in itself.  Not because of a fear of offending anyone but rather for fear of distraction...and a dimming of the light. 

The word 'maturity' comes to mind.  I'll probably use some humor to temper that little airport terminal. ;-)

To extend this thought out into our general public discourse, maybe it's not what subjects we discuss but how we go about discussing them.

What do you think?  If you get a moment, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment